Monday, February 2, 2015

Kothamalli Thokku / Coriander Leaves Thokku



I am a great fan of pickles and thokku varieties, especially the Grand sweets and Snacks ones. Back in India I used to get them frequently. I also carried a couple of bottles while travelling to Amsterdam. But alas, they didn’t last me very long. Now, I was left with no other option other than trying it in my kitchen.

I remembered having a homemade version of the kothamalli thokku at one of my aunt’s place. I checked with her for the recipe. Infact she had learnt it from her MIL. So here is her version of the Kothamalli thokku. I was very pleased with the result.

It is a great accompaniment with curd rice, parathas or even as a sandwich spread. You could also simply mix a portion of the thokku with steaming hot rice. It tastes great. 



Makes a small cup
What you’ll need
  1. Fresh Coriander Leaves – 2 Big bunches, (approx 2 cups tightly packed) only leaves and tender stems
  2. Dried Red Chillies – 5 or 6
  3. Tamarind – a small gooseberry sized ball
  4. Asafoetida – a generous pinch
  5. Jaggery – 1 tsp
  6. Salt to taste
  7. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
  8. Gingely oil/Nalla Ennai – 3 to 4 tbsp

Method
  1. Wash and clean the coriander leaves. Discard the hard and mature stem. Roughly chop and keep aside.
  2. Heat a kadai with a spoon of oil and fry the red chillies, tamarind and asafoetida.
  3. Grind the red chillies and tamarind and then add the chopped coriander leaves to the mixie jar and grind. Add very little water and grind to a smooth paste.
  4. Heat a kadai and add the remaining oil, once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.
  5. Once the mustard splutters add the ground coriander paste, salt and jaggery and sauté till the oil leaves the sides of the kadai.


8 comments:

nandoos kitchen said...

yummy thokku.. same pinch.. I also made it today.. love this flavorful thokku..

Unknown said...

Lovely thokku, will try this soon. I love all kinds of thokku, chutney, pickles... :-)

Motions and Emotions said...

Lovely page...happy to follow you...please follow my space too

Unknown said...

thokku always a best side accompaniment, love the coriander flavour anytime in any recipe

Anjana said...

Excellent recipe, very handy for a weekday night. Thanks for sharing. Hoping to see more such interesting recipes. Thanks!!!

Hema said...

I do it the same way too, nice clicks Kaveri..

Mrs.Mano Saminathan said...

Looks delicious and mouth watering!

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

Directly incan enjoy This!!!haahhaha..healthy chutney da..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...